New Beginnings Reading needs volunteers. Can you help? We have different roles and opportunities for volunteers ages 18 plus.
If you’d like to know more about volunteer opportunities, please get in contact. Particular opportunities we’re in need of volunteers for are listed below; there may be other ways and opportunities to help so please get in touch even if you don’t see anything suitable.
You can also help us recruit volunteers by telling your friends about us and by sharing this page or our flyer.
After School Café
We need volunteers who can help at the After School Café, which support families with young children.
- 2:15pm to 6pm on Wednesdays at The Queens Arms
- Tasks include welcoming, cooking meals, supervising activities for children, setting up and clearing away
- Team leaders will require DBS check. For assisting volunteers this is desirable but not required (but must not be barred with working with children or adults).
All Night Café
Food pick up
Costco very kindly offers food to the local community, which they make available at their Reading premises in Green Park on Wednesday and Fridays, 10 am to 11:30 am. We need volunteers with vehicles who can collect food, drive it to the Queens Arms and store it appropriately.
We need volunteers to help manage our community fridge at the Queens Arms.
- The fridge is be open to the community on Wednesdays and Fridays 12:00 to 1:30pm.
- Volunteers are needed from 11:30 am to 2:30 pm to monitor use of the fridge (collections and donations), check dates on food and keeping the fridge clean.
We are looking for people with experience of grant/trust fund applications and/or bid writing to help fund raise for New Beginnings Reading. If that’s you, please get in contact!